Saturday, May 16, 2009

Jillian's Remedy for McDonald's

In the past few weeks, I've read about many bloggers who have embarked upon Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred challenge.  I wanted a challenge, but secretly I thought it shouldn't be so tough for me.  I've been going to the gym most days, getting cardio 3 days a week and weights on 2.  I finally bought the DVD after one of my best friends said she had it too.  Ummm...it was a little tougher than I was.  I was even so wimpy that I put my weights down and did the exercises without weights.  They were only 5 lb weights.  She combines upper and lower body moves at the same time and I hate that, like squats at the same time you're doing bicep curls.  I'd like to blame it on being slightly un-coordinated, but I probably just need to suck it up, like Jillian says, and feel the burn.  In the meantime, I'm finding that the techno-y background music from the DVD that is still running is making me type faster.  

I should also add that it's 80 degrees in my living room and humid.  I really hate turning the air conditioner on so I suffer through a few warm days if I know that the temps are going to go back down enough to not need the AC.  The kids were a little sweaty while playing, my hair was a little frizzy and the dog was panting all day.  I kind of feel bad for her, but I'm not putting the air conditioner on to make the dog more comfortable.  I've already made far too many big decisions (like buying a new SUV a few years ago) based on the dog.  

Pat went up to see a Phillies/Nationals game with his brother tonight, so I'm on my own.  I spent entirely too much time trying to figure out a good dinner plan.  I couldn't figure out anywhere to get good, healthy, cheap food with entertainment for the kids so we went to the mall and went to McDonald's at the food court.  It fulfilled 3 of the 4 criteria.  There was a play area for the kids to work off the fries.  (And I just worked mine off with Jillian.)  

Jack impressed me by eating 1 1/2 chicken nuggets.  I can't remember the last time he ate chicken.  I suppose there was some healthiness involved for him because he loves the fruit and walnut salad there.  

Casey wasn't very happy that she couldn't wear her shoes in the play area.  The girl seriously has issues with shoes.  She saw someone's crocs sitting on the bench and made a beeline for them.  I had to distract her by plopping her on the slide.  After which I had to continue to put her at the top of the slide because she couldn't climb up it herself.  

As soon as we were outside after leaving the play area, Jack said, "It's really quiet out here."  And it was.  Because there weren't 15 screaming kids around us anymore.  I just thought it was funny that he noticed it. 

Mission accomplished - kids fed, energy burned off, good french fries consumed, time killed between naptime and bedtime.  Of course, had I not left my dinner plans to the last minute, I could have called a couple of my friends whose husbands are at sea and had some company and made a decent meal.  Next time, next time.  Now I'm going to try to get to sleep early.  I'm already past my self-imposed time to get off the computer...and I haven't even done any online shopping yet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment