Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Over 700 Stickers!

...all on my kitchen table.  This was the scene -

Uncle M & K got Jack this Cars sticker/coloring book and he is mesmerized.  "Play sticker book a few minutes?" he is continually asking.  Tonight we were outside playing before dinner.  First we went through all the requisite warnings...10 minutes until we go inside, Jack...5 minutes, Jack...2 minutes, Jack...after you're done swinging, we're going inside, Jack.  And then, to my surprise, he walked right inside with me, sat up at the table and started playing with his sticker book while I made dinner.  And if a few stickers end up on the table, it's a small price to pay for making dinner in peace.  I'm also sure that had I been attempting anything more difficult than boiling water and cooking pasta, this would not have gone so smoothly.  

Hmmm, but where was Casey during this peaceful dinner making experience?  She climbed through the doggie door and was outside in the backyard playing in the mud.  I did figure out how to entertain her in the high chair for a while though (after a good hand washing)...


Just let her try to feed herself some yogurt.  I fed her a little, and then I held the cup of yogurt while she tried out the spoon.  Then I just let her go to town on it.  I did a few dishes and turned around to find that she had dumped it all out on the tray and had given up on the spoon.  Today I also decided to strap her in to the chair since she has been a little monkey and has been trying to stand up in her chair.  Obviously it worked out well for me...


I'm especially glad that there was yogurt all over the tray when she thought she should crawl on it.  There were a few stickers that she absolutely needed off the kitchen table right then.
  
At about 4 o'clock today, I was wasting time on the internet and waiting for the kids to wake up from their naps when I heard a huge bang upstairs.  It sounded like Jack just ran into his door full force.  Thankfully, there wasn't any crying or calling out of Mommy, but I went upstairs to check things out.  Jack was just sitting on his bed, chilling, like he'd been there the whole time.  When I asked him what that noise was, he said, "wind?" with a completely deadpan face.  I immediately started laughing and asked him what really made the noise.  He kind of shrugged his shoulders and said, "a truck outside?".  I don't really think he was lying to me...I think he thought I was referring to some noise outside.  But why it wouldn't cross his mind that I was asking about the huge banging noise that just came from his door, I don't know.  

After dinner, Jack was driving around on his Diego car.  He came and informed me, "Jack is not the Zamboni driver who is driving around and cleaning the ice."  The Diego car doubles as a Zamboni when necessary.  And apparently Casey is the Zamboni driver.  Having cleared it up with me that he was not a Zamboni driver right then, he went back into the dining room.  I heard him get a little frustrated and make a few noises.  When I asked what was wrong, he said, "Jack is stuck in traffic."  I was just waiting for him to start honking the horn and swearing at the tunnels that were in his way.  Instead he just abandoned his car and went looking for trouble somewhere else. 

 

1 comment: