Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rotten Eggs and Broken Backs

Last February, I wrote (here) that Pat had started yelling "Last one up is a rotten egg!" to try to encourage Jack and Casey to get upstairs for bathtime.  It's been over a year and it never. gets. old.  Especially to Jack. Almost every single time we go up and down the stairs at the same time he has to say it.  Most mornings now he says something like, "Mommy, Mommy, you need to hurry or you'll be the rotten egg."  Or sometimes he whispers to Casey in a conspiratorial voice to try to encourage her to get down the stairs faster than I do.  (Although most of the time I still carry her downstairs in the morning.  I guess it's a ritual because I know she knows how to walk.)  I guess I can't get over the fact that it is still a fun game despite the 3-4 times a day that we play it.

Another game that doesn't get old started with my mother.  She taught Jack and Casey the little saying, "Step on a crack and you'll break your mother's back."  There are a lot of cracks in this world.  Jack and Casey notice every single one of them and inform me that they are either stepping on them or jumping over them.  I'm not sure how they decide whether it's a good day for breaking my back or a generous day of sparing me the pain.  When they step on a crack I pretend to cry out in pain and that's hilarious.  I suppose that only encourages the game, but it's so much fun for them that I have to play along.

No one tells you about these hazards of parenting...smelling like a rotten egg and broken backs.  I'm glad there are no cracks on my steps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment