Monday, April 18, 2011

Easter Party

Since this week is spring break, Jack's Easter party at school was on Friday and I was the party planning mom.  I was trying to bookmark ideas I have seen on the internet since Thanksgiving but at the last minute, I just went to Disney's Family Fun website and found everything I needed.  It was really 6 days before the party but it felt like last minute to me.

I had to come up with some snacks and a craft and then we had an Easter egg hunt.  I made these cute little carrot gardens for the snack.  The dirt is pumpkin hummus and I don't think any of the kids ate it.  A few ate some of the unadorned carrots that I also brought.  To make the carrots, I used a toothpick to put a hole in the top of the carrot and then stuck a sprig of parsley in each one.


This is my favorite part of the snack...the bunny face sandwich.  I used sandwich rounds, fluff for the face, peanut butter for the ears, pretzels for the whiskers, a strawberry marshmallow bit for the nose and chocolate chips for the eyes.  We had some fruit on the side and carrot cake cupcakes for dessert.  The cupcakes were pretty delicious...they were this recipe from the Smitten Kitchen blog.  


While I was crafting my sandwiches before the party, Jack's teacher was working on another craft with the kids.  She called it a Harry Potter-esque bunny face.  The kids looked pretty kooky with their big glasses and big bunny teeth.





For some reason we decided to sneak a learning moment into the egg hunt so I labeled the eggs with numbers and each child was supposed to find one of each number.  They were a little too excited to care what numbers they got and started throwing eggs into their basket.  Then the parents ended up going around to each other and asking, "Does anyone have a 10...I have to two 8's but we need a 10..." and trying to make sure everyone had the same amount of eggs.  Oh, and the craft was the Easter egg basket that they are all holding.  We turned green paper bags into baskets and decorated them with stickers.  


It was a fun little party but my party planning skills are on break until next year...when I will have two classrooms of opportunity to sign up for parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment