Friday, February 20, 2009

Pizza and a Movie

Friday night is usually pizza and a movie night, especially when Pat has duty.  I throw a pizza in the oven and Jack picks a movie...Cars every week.  Occasionally I can get him to watch Finding Nemo, but it's on the DVR and I have to be ready to fast forward through the commercials which is not as relaxing to me.

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to coordinate a pizza and movie night, but it's taken a little bit of trial and error to get the timing right.  We put Jack's chair in the living room and put his tray on it and he hops in.  The nice thing is that it doesn't matter if the pizza is ready...he sits in that chair and is mesmerized for a good hour.  Casey, on the other hand, does not wait patiently for her pizza.  I have to have "hors d'oeuvres" ready for her while the pizza cools.  I have tried taking Casey's high chair into the living room but it was too much work and too much stress for the poor carpet.  So Casey and I sit in the kitchen and eat while Jack eats his pizza and watches Lightning tear up Radiator Springs.

In the past couple of months, I have convinced him to watch The Lion King and Shrek on two different nights.  Both evenings have then become chaotic.  For some reason, we can't hear the voices on these movies.  I have pushed every audio button there is, on the tv, on the DVD player/sound system and through a menu on the actual DVD, and I can't get the voices to be audible.  I even pulled the sound system out and played with the wires.  No luck.  As I am pushing all these buttons and trying to get audio menus to work, Jack is whining, "No like this.  No Lion King.  No Lion King," and on and on.  The menus then seem to take a freakishly slow amount of time in coming up and allowing me to select things.  Casey then chimes in and starts crying for more food.  Finally I give up and we go back to Cars.  So, despite the fact that we watch it almost every week, I'm okay with that because I know we can hear Lightning say "Ka-chow" and that makes Jack happy.

Bath time is usually optional for Jack on pizza night but Casey is so covered in pizza that she definitely needs one.  Sometimes Jack stays and watches more movie or plays with his toys.  Tonight he brought his new planes up to the bathroom and flew them around while Casey played in the tub.  

And that's an exciting Friday night with a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old!  Soon enough, we'll probably have to alternate between Cars and Cinderella.  As long as we can hear it that is.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment