Monday, August 3, 2009

A New Library

I told Jack that we were going to the library today but that we couldn't check out any books because it wasn't our library. I thought it was a good idea to mention it before we even got to the library so that he wouldn't melt down when we tried to leave without books.

I had no idea how traumatic the thought of going to a library and not getting books would be for him. He started crying. Tears were streaming down his face and he was sobbing, trying to tell me that he wanted new books. "I need (sob) new books...the ones we have (sob) are old now...I don't want to (sob) read them anymore...I need to (sob) get new books."

A request for new books is one that I find hard to turn down...especially with how genuinely upset he was about the idea of not getting any. In fact, I'm kind of proud that he has a love for books so early. So, I promised him we would buy some books.

Luckily, there was a used book store just down the street from the library. And at 50 cents a piece, Jack got all the books he wanted and a few more. It was a well spent $5. Once upon a time, I think it cost $5 a year for our out-of-town library card. 20 years later, it probably would have cost more to renew the library card than to visit the used bookstore.

Casey enjoyed the library too. She actually looked at some books while we were there, or least she looked at one page each in several books. Jack was more distracted by the toys in the children's area and didn't seem to notice the books. Casey also enjoyed the bookstore and made herself right at home...


No comments:

Post a Comment