Thursday, April 26, 2012

Jack's Easter Party at School

I was the party planner for Jack's Easter party which was held the Thursday before Easter.  Thankfully I had other moms helping out with the food but I put a lot of time and thought into my craft and the egg hunt.

I sent a note home with the parents to have everyone send in 14 eggs.  Jack's teacher had mentioned 14 since that's how many kids are in the class.  Not 30 minutes after I sent the note home, I realized that it didn't matter how many kids are in the class as long as they all send in the same amount of eggs.  Because I really didn't think they needed 14 eggs filled with candy.  But that's what they got!  

I learned that they now sell eggs already filled with candy and you can get Star Wars themed eggs.  Brilliant.  But I'd already bought my empty eggs and candy and stuffed my own.  

Now what to do with almost 200 eggs.  It seemed too easy to just throw them all in a field.  Last year they each got six and I numbered them with the intent that they all get one of each number but that was a little confusing.  I was going to put their names on the eggs or their initials but that seemed to easy also.  I ended up numbering them again and then assigning each child one number.  It worked out great.  The kids had a fun time hunting for their numbers and helping each other. 


I made miniature brownies with cream cheese frosting and raspberries on top for dessert.  This was the second batch of brownies and I had barely minutes to spare before I had to be at school for the party but it worked out.  I figured they didn't need a huge dessert on top of their 14 eggs full of candy.


And here is my craft:  a little sock bunny.


This is the version I made for an example.  The ones that the kids made were cuter and they had some different colored ones.  We filled the bottom of a child's sock with beans, put an elastic around his neck, then stuffed his head with cotton stuffing and another elastic at the top.  We cut the rest of the sock in half for his ears.  Then we added eyes, nose, teeth and tail.  I found felt with adhesive backing in black and white so the eyes and teeth were easy to go on.  The tail (a white pom pom) and nose just needed a little tacky glue and stayed on there fine.  I spent forever putting all the supplies together for these and putting kits together for the kids but it went really smoothly and I think everyone had fun with it.

I also made these cute carrots out of napkins and silverware.


Jack was not cooperating with the camera but at least there is evidence that he is eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich again.  After eating two a day for a couple years, he got tired of them and went on a sandwich strike for about a year.  But he realized that he likes jelly again and has been eating jelly sandwiches lately.



After all was said and done, this was one of my favorite parties to do.  I was so glad when it was done but it was satisfying to see the kids have a great party and we now have three cute little sock bunnies to decorate with next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment