Thursday, April 19, 2012

Easter 2012

It's hard to believe it's been just a little more than a week since Easter.  I went to Tennessee to do some house hunting with Pat and my mom stayed with the kids for a few days last week.  I think it probably felt like more than a few days for her.  Also, I'm not sure if they whined a lot while she was here or if they just saved it all up for me the day everyone left!

Back to Easter...
We had a beautiful day for the Easter Bunny to visit.  I didn't really hype the Easter Bunny up this year but they knew he was coming.  I wanted to avoid questions such as 'How does the Easter Bunny get in our house?' or 'How does the Easter Bunny know what to bring us?' or 'Won't Tugger try to catch the Easter Bunny?'  I'm not sure about the bunny but Tugger was certainly interested in the chocolate and that was quickly moved to a higher location.

As it was, there were plenty of speculations on how the Easter Bunny does business.  And I'm glad I heard some of them before he arrived.  Jack had pieced some things together from memory and word on the street I guess.  According to Jack, Daddy told him that the Easter Bunny comes through Tugger's doggy door.  Which is fine (and Pat doesn't remember saying this) but Jack also believes that the Easter Bunny is mascot sized and I don't know many mascots that can get through the doggy door.  Thankfully he didn't question it.

When I mentioned that we were going to set some baskets out for the Easter Bunny to fill, Jack quickly reminded me that the Easter Bunny brings gift bags, not baskets.  Because this is what the Easter Bunny has set out for the last few years I guess.  (We were traveling for Easter last year and the bunny thought it would be easier to conceal gift bags than big baskets.)

So Easter morning arrived and thankfully the Easter Bunny got things straight.  He even realized that he should put the chocolate up high so Tugger wouldn't eat it.  Because she would if she could.  The kids had fun checking out their gifts and searching for eggs.  That bunny even thought to color code the eggs so they would both get the same amount of jelly beans.

We got to church early for 11am mass, although not as early as we did for Christmas.  Jack and Casey played nicely with their markers and paper before mass began and then were very well behaved during church.  The choir sang beautifully and there was a wonderful solo after communion.  I was happy to have spent Easter at our own church this year and will miss it next year.

After church, there was an egg hunt.  We forgot baskets but luckily Jack remembered some reusable bags I keep in the glove compartment and Casey pulled all her hair trinkets out of her "hair bag" to use.  The field was full of eggs.  I don't even know if there were enough kids to collect all the eggs.  In the end they turned their overflowing baskets reusable bags/hair bags of eggs in for huge piles of candy.  Jack said, "This is just as good as Halloween!" while I wondered how much of it I could reallocate to the garbage can.

We had a pretty good dinner - bone-in pork roast and roasted veggies.  The roast was difficult to carve around the bones.  Mostly I hacked at it until I got some meat and served it.  Veggies were delicious.  And dessert was decent - strawberry chocolate tart.

Oh, and let's not forget the Easter Sunday trip to the carnival.  You all have that tradition too, right?  I was hoping the kids would forget about the carnival but since we drove by it on Saturday and learned that it closed on Sunday, they begged and begged to go before it would close.  And so we spent an enjoyable hour at the carnival on Easter Sunday before dinner.  The rap music didn't really bring to mind resurrection but I'm sure the carnies had already done their worshipping.  The kids had a great time on their three rides and I even went on the teacup ride with them...which is totally not my cup of tea.  We played one game and lost but Jack has had pretty charmed carnival experiences so far because he claimed that he "always wins a prize" and was disappointed that he didn't.

And so that's how we celebrated our Easter!











 

No comments:

Post a Comment