Monday, March 26, 2012

Aquarium Day

A couple weeks ago, we headed to the Aquarium for a school field trip.  It's probably the last time we will get to the aquarium before we leave the area and the last field trip the kids will go on with their classes.

Sometimes when we go on field trips, Jack and Casey stay with me and it seems like we're not even with a class.  This time turned out to the be the perfect balance of the kids enjoying their friends and me not feeling like I was being pulled in two different directions.  Casey wasn't as interested in being with her classmates as much but she interacted with her teacher and with Jack's friends very well.

Jack and his classmate were trying to keep up with the seals in this picture...


Casey was amazed by something but I can't remember exactly what it was.  We arrived at the aquarium at a great time as there were swimmers in the water cleaning the coral (?) and they had just fed the animals.  The sting rays were enjoying a bunch of romaine as we walked by them.




I love the next set of pictures.  They had just gotten a snake out for the kids to touch.  At first you can see them looking impressed that the lady was holding a snake, then they look kind of disgusted/shocked that she is going to allow them to touch the snake and then they decide to touch it.




Casey was quite a willing model for a lot of pictures.  She hopped right on the dolphin and waited for me to take a picture.



Later, on the second pass by the dolphin she made Jack get on there so they could have a picture together.  You can tell who's really into the photo shoot and who's not.


Jack trying to touch a sting ray...


At the wetlands center, they had a real possum out for the kids to touch.  I won't say that he was cute but he was definitely a cuddler.  I don't think I'll ever think of a possum the same after watching a video of Pat's Uncle Paul as he tried to get a possum out of his garbage can last year.  If only he'd known how cuddly they could be :)  


We went through the main aquarium, then walked 3/4 of a mile to the wetlands portion of the aquarium and then back 3/4 of a mile to the car.  This certainly tired the kids out and then I dragged them to the Navy Exchange and Trader Joe's since we were in the area.  We mainly went to the Exchange for lunch at Subway in the food court and to get dog food.  But no trip to a store these days is complete without browsing the toy aisles.  I managed to get out of there with no new toys, but when Jack spotted some Star Wars tooth brushes and asked for them, I had no problem saying yes.  I figure it's a win-win situation - Jack is happy because he gets something new with Star Wars on it and I'm happy that his teeth will be brushed with the force.  (And yes, Casey's teeth are speaking better Spanish thanks to her new Dora toothbrush.)

It was a great trip to the aquarium and I think Jack even learned some things on the way.  He was throwing some new facts out at me as we headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment