Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Blog Returns with the Beginning of Summer !

I've decided not to let this blog die :)  So it's back by popular demand...by the only readers...who happen to be the grandparents of my children.

I was writing about Christmas the last time I wrote.  Fast forward six months...summer vacation has begun!  Pat mentioned a couple weeks ago that he felt like the school year flew by.  I told him it was a little different from my perspective; being the homework supervisor makes for some long weeks.  And I just went through a stack of paperwork 2 feet tall that contained all the hard work of a year of first grade.  I also cleaned out a mailbox of email reminders and notes from Jack's teacher.

After a week's vacation in Ocean City, we are back home to start the summer routine, or the lack of routine.  We have a big list on the refrigerator of all the things we want to do this summer.  We have started the summer point system whereby the kids get points for helping around the house and after so many points they get prizes, the big one being a trip to Chuck E Cheese.  I just need to find that piece of paper I wrote last summer with all the things for which they can get a point.

The kids are on the swim team at our country club and started practice this week.  Their first meet is tonight.  Jack has been at baseball camp in the mornings and then gets a few minutes of swimming in after.  Casey is watching a show while wearing her bathing suit as I write...she's been working very hard in the pool.

But so far, this week at home has been worse than the adjustment to the first couple weeks of school.  These kids are tired!  Casey threw a tantrum last night because I sent her to her room.  I can't remember if she's ever thrown a tantrum like that.  Jack got sent to bed without stories.  They both broke down crying at the pizza place because they didn't have any mini make-your-own pizzas.  (The employees had no pity for my plight.  You make pizzas...can't you make two small crusts and throw it in a box for me?  Seriously?)

And the questions!  I feel like I have two three year olds right now.  I think they must have stored up a school year's worth of random questions to ask me.  Casey asked me this morning, "How many heads would it take to fill up the earth?"  What?  Maybe Pop Pop knows the answer to that because I sure don't.  Are they 8 lb heads?  Adult heads or child heads?

Jack has his own stash of questions but then he likes to argue with you after you give him an answer.  I was telling him that the Arlington Baseball Team (where he is going to baseball camp) won the state championship in 2012.  He, of course, already knew that because he saw the sign at the field and he wanted to know when they would take down the sign.  I told him that they're proud of it and they'll probably leave it up for a while.  Then I told him about the high school near our house in Virginia that won the state football championship in 2011 and I said that their sign is still up.

Jack:  How do you know their sign is up?
Me:  I saw it when we drove by the high school when we were in the area last week.
Jack:  I didn't see it.  Why didn't I see it?
Me:  You weren't looking out that side of the car.
Jack:  Oh it was on Casey's side?  I thought it used to be on my side.
Me:  It's on different sides depending on which way we are going.  It used to be on your side on the way to school and on Casey's side on the way home.
Jack:  I'm pretty sure it was on my side most of the time.
Me:  It was probably about half and half.
Jack:  Well you don't know if that sign is still up.
Me:  I just saw it last week.
Jack:  They might have taken it down.
Me: Okay buddy, you win.

I think we will adjust to this summer business soon.  Next week, we have no camps, just swim team, so I think we can have some fun and get some rest and start crossing some things off our list of things to do!  And I will get to researching the surface area of the earth and figure out how many heads will fit on it.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment