Friday, June 28, 2013

Jack's Bowling Birthday Party

Sometimes Jack gets the short end of the stick with birthday parties.  He gets parties, but they don't get quite the time and effort that Casey's do.  Of course he hasn't noticed a difference so in the end it seems to work out for us.  Casey is still asking what kind of crafts we're going to do at Jack's party though.

One year we thought we wouldn't have a big party until all my friends convinced me to have a little playdate party for him.  This is the one where Tugger ate the cake and I had to make a last minute call to a friend to pick up a cake.  Last year we had just moved into the area and didn't really know anyone.  On Jack's birthday we went to a Hail & Farewell for Pat's office and the Captain's family got him a cake and some sweet people who didn't even know him brought presents for him!  

This year we were trying to work around friends being in and out of town, so we decided to have an early party.  Jack originally wanted to take some friends to a baseball game but the schedules didn't work out.  When I suggested bowling, he thought it was great.  So we invited three of his best friends, I grabbed some Star Wars themed plates, napkins and balloons at the store and we planned a party.  

It also happened that Jack's party was in the middle of Vacation Bible School week for us and after I spent a morning with incoming 1st graders, I was not feeling ready for a bowling party.  But I pushed through, got some brownies and ice cream made, blew up some balloons and Jack was happy.  

As soon as the boys got here, an epic Star Wars battle began and there was a lot of energy in this house.    I was kind of afraid to take that energy to the bowling alley by myself, but once we got to the bowling alley they all settled down and started focusing on getting strikes!  I really had fun watching the boys bowl.  (But I'm going to have to join in next time I go!)






After 2 games of bowling, we headed back to the house to make pizza and eat cake.  Jack was so impatient to open his presents that he didn't even want to blow out the candles on his cake.  Then he didn't even eat a piece of cake until after all his friends left.  He was too busy putting Legos together!




Nana bought some great cake toppers for Jack's Ocean City birthday celebration back in May and Jack wanted to use them again.  General Grievous and Anakin Skywalker battled it out on top of the brownies.


I think Jack was pretty happy with his birthday party.  He really liked bowling so we'll have to go back a few more times this summer.  And I was happy that everyone seemed to have a good time without me trying to recreate anything from Pinterest.  I didn't even have party favors - gasp!  

Only 2 more days until someone officially turns 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment