Sunday, August 12, 2012

1st Grade!

Jack started 1st grade on Monday!  He was very excited about going to school and riding the bus.  He didn't seem to be nervous at all.  I guess I need to try not to project how nervous I would be if I were him onto him :)  New school, new teacher, new friends, new bus experience...and it didn't phase him! 

 


After pictures and getting to the bus stop nice and early, he hopped right on the bus without a second thought.  The driver had to get him to turn around for a picture.  Casey and I had a nice long day together and then walked up to the bus stop to get Jack.  We waited for 20 minutes before we even saw a bus in our neighborhood.  It drove back and forth on the cross street below ours a couple times like the driver didn't know where to go.  Then I saw some people walking from the other end of the neighborhood towards us.  It turned out to be Jack and another family from the bus stop where he decided to hop off the bus.  He got off about 3 stops too early.  The nice family decided to walk with him to make sure he got to our house.  When I asked him why he got off so early he said, "I didn't know how close it was going to get to our house, so I just got off!"  Brave kid!  It didn't upset him in the least.   



There's since been a week of school and I'm not quite sure what he's doing for 7 hours a day.  There's "early bunch" in the morning which means they color until everyone gets there.  There are announcements, two bathroom breaks, lunch, and recess (if everyone is good).  I think maybe the learning starts this week? 


He brought home some homemade play-doh that his teacher made and he said, "It's just like regular Play-Doh but it tells the future.  Isn't that great?  This one said we are going to have a great year."  


I think he's made a few friends but he's iffy on the names.  He said, "The one boy that I expected was going to be my best friend said he didn't want to be my friend."  It makes my heart break and makes me laugh all at the same time.  I'm not sure why he "expected" someone was going to be his best friend...it's kind of cute.  And I'd like to hope he just misunderstood the situation and that boys are not that mean.  Luckily it didn't seem to bother him too much.  And then we talked about making sure he was nice to everyone and friends with everyone. 

So far he's enjoying the experience but he said the homework starts this week.  I hope he still likes school after this week :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment