Tuesday, July 31, 2012

School Registration

Today was registration day at Jack's new school.  He starts school next Monday!  August 6th is pretty early but he gets done around the 3rd week in May.  That's why we had to miss International Festival and our two weeks of August in Maine and visit earlier.

Pat asked Jack if he was nervous about starting school and he said, "A little bit."  When pressed further, he said he is nervous because he hasn't really done as many worksheets as he should have done this summer.  Not because he's going to a brand new school and has no idea where his classroom is or who his teacher is and not because he doesn't know anyone at the school!

I've tried to get him to do a few worksheets and some reading this summer so he doesn't completely forget how to read.  He's been very resistant to it for the most part so I may have tried to guilt him into it by telling him he needs to remember what he learned last year or he'll be behind.  Then I read something on Jack's 6-7 year checkup from the doctor that said not to push them into reading because it can interfere with his interest in learning.  So I backed off.  Mostly I really want him to love reading like I do but I think that will come in time.

Anyway, I was probably more nervous for his registration day.  I had all my questions written down so I wouldn't forget anything.  I had the most questions about the bus system.  The only elementary school experience I have is my own and I had 10 students in my class, there were 4 classrooms and only one bus.  This school has seven classrooms of 1st graders alone!

After driving home for a few more pieces of paperwork, Jack is officially registered for 1st grade.  He met the principal and despite our coaching, when she asked him a question he responded with his typical "Yeah."  At which point she said, "He'll be saying 'Yes, Ma'am!' in no time!"

I was really looking forward to back-to-school shopping but the school puts together a box of all items required for his class and it's one-stop shopping.  I think Jack would have enjoyed the scavenger hunt of finding all the things on his list and filling the shopping cart, but Pat convinced me this would be much easier.  We still have to go out and find a lunchbox though.

Thursday night is parents' night for Casey's school although she doesn't start until late August.  It is also a movie night at Jack's school.  He should find out his classroom and teacher then.

And so the school years really begin!!!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment