Saturday, November 12, 2011

The End of an Era

Yesterday we took this poster down in Jack's room.  It's kind of a sad day for me...the end of the Elmo era.  Elmo has been living on Jack's closet door since we moved into this house 3 years ago but he's been around for longer than that.


It's been coming for a while.  Jack no longer wants to sleep with his super big Elmo that he got when he was 1 1/2.  He doesn't even want to play with him.  Earlier in the year he gave Casey his very first Elmo, his baby Elmo that he slept with on and off since he was born.  


The first video that Jack ever watched was an Elmo video.  I had never seen Elmo's World before but I remember after he watched the 3 episodes from his video over and over, I finally realized that they were all the same format.

We had tickets to Elmo Live and it was scheduled very close to my due date.  Just two tickets...I figured only Jack and Daddy would go.  I thought I was going into labor on Friday night, the day before the show.  I think I willed Casey to stay inside until Jack could get to his Elmo show.  I so wanted him to be able to go see Elmo.  It was his first show and he had a great time with his Daddy.  And then he got to meet his new sister the next day. 

Elmo was the first Halloween costume that Jack got to help pick out.


But yesterday we took down the Elmo poster and replaced it with a Star Wars poster.  I think the only hold-over is that sometimes Jack still talks like Elmo, in the 3rd person.  It used to bother me, but now it will probably be a little bittersweet as I remember how much we used to live in Elmo's World and now we don't.

So goodbye Elmo.  Thanks for the great memories!




No comments:

Post a Comment