Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Easy Pumpkin Carving

I found an app last week from Parents Magazine for pumpkin carving.  I tried it out by myself one night and "carved" a few pumpkins and then when Pat was out of town on Saturday I let the kids play with it.  They love the virtual pumpkin carving and keep asking to do it over and over again.  We've replaced our song time, which has really turned into YouTube time, with pumpkin carving.  Jack's goal is always make the scariest pumpkins he can.  Casey just enjoys playing with the iPad like she's been doing it for years.  She's so funny when she scrolls around and picks out her pumpkin parts.

This is my kind of carving...no mess to clean up, no rotting pumpkins on the front porch, no sharp knives and no kids wandering away after 5 minutes leaving the parents to carve.  I know a lot of people love the family pumpkin carving tradition, but so far I could do without it.  I don't mind letting Pat be the lead pumpkin carver.

With this app, you can pick the color of your pumpkin and then whether you want to freehand carve or pick from the various jack-o-lantern parts that are available.  The last thing to do is to pick a background.  It's funny hearing Casey say, "And now I need to pick a background."

Here are some of Jack's creations:



 
I just realized that they're practically the same pumpkin.  Jack really likes that mouth and nose.  They must be the scariest.  And they both feel the need to put hair on the tops of their pumpkins.  In the first one it's hand carved and the next ones have a mouth that we turned into hair.

Here are some of Casey's creations:




I kind of like the homely one at the end.  Or should I say hole-y one.

No comments:

Post a Comment