Sunday, January 24, 2010

Return to Reality

In case you've been wondering where I've been...last week, Pat and I went on a little vacation to Jamaica. He just finished his tour of duty on the USS Ross and has a little time off before he checks about the aircraft carrier, USS Theodore Roosevelt. We decided it would be a great time to take a vacation to somewhere warm. His parents offered to watch the kids and we booked 5 days at the Sandals Grande Ocho Rios in Jamaica.

It was actually a somewhat short stay, with travel days on Monday and Friday, but we managed to soak up some sun, play golf, read, sleep in and eat dessert at every meal. In fact, I'm going through dessert withdrawal right now - a Rice Krispie treat just doesn't cut it after the delicious desserts we ate in Jamaica.

We stayed at a Sandals resort in St. Lucia for our honeymoon a little over 5 years ago and had a great time so we knew we definitely wanted to go back to an all-inclusive resort. Jamaica was a lot closer and easier to get to but still had the tropical weather we were looking for. It also had the golf course that was on Pat's list of requirements. We had a great room, overlooking the ocean and were close to all restaurants. It was on and off rainy on Wednesday but it was just nice that it was warm.

Jack and Casey had a great time with Nana and Pop Pop...I'm not sure they even missed us. Nana had them out to fun events and places every day and wore them out. They went to a place calling Bouncing Off the Walls and that's apparently what they were doing.

I missed Jack and Casey, but it was really great to have a break. We didn't have to revolve any of our activities around being home for naptime, no one whined about what was being served for dinner (in fact I don't think any one whined at all) and there were no sibling fights to break up.

Also, I ascertained that I can still be observant. I've realized that since having kids, I don't notice the little things any more. I can't tell you what another mother was wearing who just spent 5 hours at my house. I don't even notice what Pat's wearing most of the time. All my energy and focus goes towards trying to entertain Jack & Casey - keeping the peace and preventing melt downs, especially when we're around other people. So, when thrown back into the world without my children, I began to notice things again...like minor drug deals in Jamaica and the fact that someone was wearing self-tanner put on rather poorly. Just little things, but it's nice to know that those powers of observation aren't gone permanently.

Anyway, it was a great getaway and I am now in the middle of my 4th load of laundry trying to catch up. 85 degree weather and the beach already seem like they were weeks ago, instead of days. Unfortunately, I think my body acclimated a little too well to the warmth because my fingers actually went numb from being cold while shopping at Wal-Mart today. Laundry, groceries, naptime, bathtime, puzzles, Legos, toy kitchens, toy pianos, and dolls...welcome back to life.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice!! Glad you guys could seize the opportunity and get outta dodge.

    ReplyDelete