Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Winter Trip to the Zoo

Last week, there was a nice warm afternoon and I asked the kids what they wanted to do.  I expected to hear "Play outside" or "Play hockey" but Jack suggested going to the zoo.  I was tired and I knew that if I hung around the house nothing would get done anyway, so going to the zoo sounded like a great idea...a real excuse for getting nothing done.

Before we could get out the door, I had to make Jack eat lunch.  While I was doing that, I got a phone call from a high school friend.  As we were chatting, Jack and Casey were doing their own type of chatting that was more like bickering.  Jack was slowing eating his lunch while Casey had already devoured hers.  It was taking Jack a while to eat because he kept getting out of his chair to growl at Casey who was (innocently, I'm sure) playing with her baby.  She started crying and said, "Jack's trying to eat my baby."  And so the next thing that comes out of my mouth (as I'm still on the phone) is, "Jack is not going to eat your baby!"  I'm sure it's a rational fear every girl has of her growling brother.  

At that point, I was second guessing whether I wanted to take these squabbling kids to the zoo.  I didn't want to bring any strollers and Casey was already whining about that.  But I finally ushered them to the car with water bottles and snacks and off we went.

It turned out to be so great.  They took turns picking which part of the park they wanted to go to next.  There were a lot of animals out and about.  There was no fighting.  They both walked the whole time and there wasn't a single complaint.  It was just one of those afternoons where I truly enjoyed spending time with my kids and seeing the zoo from their point of view.

We also saw giraffes trying to mate...can't really top that.  Well, actually the male giraffe desperately wanted to top that but she was playing hard to get.  At least that prevented anything more than a male anatomy discussion.

I wish I'd had my good camera with me, but the phone pics aren't that bad.  Snakes, new red shoes (accidental picture), sibling love, several wooden cutouts to stick your head in and more sibling love.  On a sixty degree day in the middle of January.  Mating giraffes.  What's not to love?  (Except I have no pictures of mating giraffes...I was too distracted to take pics I guess.)









No comments:

Post a Comment