Saturday, June 25, 2011

Lightsaber Week

This is the first time I've started a blog post at 4:45 in the the morning, but I can't sleep!  I have been sick with an extremely sore throat for the past week and we're leaving on vacation today.  I'm guessing the combination of all the things I still need to do and the medicine I've been taking are not letting me sleep any longer.  Which is too bad because I haven't had a good night of sleep in the last week either.  It's only been a week of being sick but I've spent a lot of time on the internet looking at what everyone else has been doing and I feel like it's been a month.  There are so many projects I could have done last week...not that I probably would have, but I could have!

On Sunday evening, I noticed a sore throat and took some zinc.  The sore throat was still around on Monday morning so I decided I better get out and do the grocery shopping while I was still feeling somewhat okay.  When Jack heard we were going grocery shopping, he immediately started a new campaign.  "Mommy, do you think we should go get lightsabers today?  Aren't we going by that store where we saw the lightsabers last week?  How about if we are really good at the grocery store and don't fight, we can get lightsabers instead of a donut or fruit snacks?"  (The donut or fruit snack bribe is very effective for grocery shopping.)

Jack's final assault in his campaign was, "I don't think we should go look at the jets today.  I think it would be more challenging to get lightsabers."  More challenging?  I love when he tries to use big words.  It kind of worked...I had been thinking about getting them lightsabers and I decided it was close enough to his birthday that I could start spoiling him.

Bribing them with food is good, but getting them lightsabers takes it to a whole new level.  We bought the lightsabers before the grocery store, we talked about some lightsaber rules and then I let them bring them into the store.  It was amazing...I never heard another peep from either of them.  I've never been through the commissary so fast.  They sat so quietly in the cart and I'm not even sure they moved.  It was a little eery.

Jack was so excited to get home and start battling it out with Casey.  Unfortunately Casey wasn't feeling so well either and she wasn't much of a sparring partner.  I don't think Jack's lightsaber has left his side since he got it.  He's had it clipped onto his pants almost everywhere we go and he's been sleeping with it every night.  When we went to the doctor, I looked down at Jack and said, "You can have your lightsaber in here but you need to put your blade away!"  Although maybe it was a cute scene - miserable mom and little girl being defended by Jedi Jack.

While I layed on the couch feeling pretty miserable all week, Jack spent a lot of time working on his lightsaber skills.  "Mommy, do you want to see my skills?"  He and Casey have spent hours together pretending to be Jedi and Sith and roaming the galaxy.  They also spent a lot of time working on a lightsaber show.  Jack wanted more of a duel but mostly it was a solo show while each of them showed me their skills.  Jack can even add some Jedi mind tricks into his routine sometimes.


There's got to be some practical use of these "skills" Jack is gaining right?  He puts so much effort and thought into it.  Turns out that the lightsabers were a good buy this week!  Jack keeps telling me it's one of his favorite toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment